Thursday 6 June 2013

Reading List - May 2013

"Waiting for Sunrise" by William Boyd.
"21st Century Girls" by Sue Palmer.
"Diary of a Provincial Lady in Wartime" by E.M.Delafield.
"Some Tame Gazelle" by Barbara Pym.
"Where d'you go Bernadette?" by Maria Semple.
"The Rapture" by Liz Jensen.
"Still Missing" by Beth Gutcheon.
"Mutton" by India Knight.
"Sharp Objects" by Gillian Flynn.

9 books in one month - think that's the record for 2013, so far! Some great reads too. I loved the Barbara Pym and the "Provincial Lady" in particular. I had really looked forward to the new India Knight novel but, in all honesty, I found it to be a bit.... well, boring. I'm a huge fan of Ms Knight's, so it pains me to admit it, but it's definitely not her best.

I did enjoy listening to her speak at the Hay-on-Wye Festival over the Bank Holiday weekend though. We only went for the day, but what a day it was. Each of us saw some wonderful writers speaking about their work (for me, India Knight & Audrey Niffenegger), browsed the book stalls and soaked up the glorious sunshine. Aside from the cost of lunch (£13 for a crab sandwich and an elderflower presse. £13!?!) it was a wonderful day. I'm already looking forward to next year. I'll just remember to take a picnic...

1 comment: