Wednesday 21 March 2012

Happiness

I went to a lecture recently, given by Jung Chang, author of "Wild Swans". (Whenever I think of that book I get residual feelings of guilt because it was a real distraction when I should have been revising for my A-Levels, many years ago.) The subject of the lecture was "Happiness" and Jung Chang's central premise was that happiness is brought about by fulfillment, found through work. I agree that work that you love, work that you consider meaningful, is hugely important. If it pays you a living wage all the better. Is it the key to being happy though? Not for me. For me, happiness is about having people to love and people who love you. And beyond that? It's the little things that make me happy. Like the sun shining. And eating almond brioche for breakfast. And pretty vintage plates.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on that one, oh wise and lovely friend. I should be doing housework right now. But I'm here, reading your beautiful words, happy that we'll be catching up next week. X

    ReplyDelete